Fields of study – degrees
- 2013: Honorary doctorate degree in Volgograd (Russia).
- 2008: Academic title "Doctor of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences" (DSc.).
- 1997: "Habilitation" (Dr. habil.) in Linguistics of German at the University of Debrecen (Hungary).
- 1987: Postdoctoral academic qualification "CSc." at the Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- 1987: PhD (Dr. phil.) in the field of Germanic and Contrastive Linguistics at the Friedrich Schiller University in Jena (Germany).
- 1984: English Language examination (advanced level) in London.
- 1983: Doctoral title in General Linguistics at the University of Debrecen with the distinction "summa cum laude".
- 1981: Diploma and teacher qualification for secondary schools in the subjects German Language and Literature and Russian Language and Literature (final grade: "excellent").
- 1976-1981: Studies in Germanic and Slavonic Languages at the Universities of Debrecen (H), Leipzig (D), Berlin (D), Odessa (UA) and Moscow (RU).